Here are some ideas to get you started:
Tackle it Together
- Be a positive role model by leading an active lifestyle.
- Provide opportunities for your family to be active indoors and outdoors. Keep toys and equipment readily available.
- Make physical activity fun by including your children in choosing activities.
- Support your child’s physical activity efforts. Encourage them to try new activities.
- Talk to your children about the benefits of physical activity.
- Choose active transportation to and from school and for other short trips. Visit Green Communities Canada’s website to learn more about Active and Safe Routes to School.
- Be a positive role model by wearing the appropriate safety gear to stay safe while you and your children are active. Visit Hamilton Public Health Services’ website for more information about Injury Prevention.
- Limit sedentary time. The Canadian Paediatric Society advises that television watching should be limited to less than 1 – 2 hours per day. Visit the Canadian Paediatric Society’s website for tips about how to promote good television habits.
Share the responsibility between yourself and your children to lay a foundation for their active lifestyle. Overtime, your children will learn to make these decisions on their own.