Parents are the #1 Role Model
Research shows that parents are their children’s most important role models. Just as children learn good habits — such as saying please and thank you — they can also learn positive attitudes about eating well and being active.
Here are a few good habits to model for your children
- Enjoy eating three meals a day, especially breakfast.
- Turn the TV off while eating meals.
- Be physically active each day.
- Avoid talking about dieting or making negative comments about your body in front of your children.
- Celebrate your children’s strengths and abilities rather than how they look.
- Family meals are a great time for children to develop healthy eating habits. Create happy memories of making and sharing meals together. Start family traditions that your children will carry throughout their lives. Visit our Healthy Eating section to learn more.
- Being active as a family is a fun and healthy way to spend time together. Role model physical activity, and show your children how they can include it into their daily lives. Visit our Active Living section to learn more.
Walk the Talk!
Be consistent in what you say and do. Telling your children one thing, but doing the opposite could result in confusion and frustration. What you do will make more of an impact on your children than what you say.